The client was facing issues because of their old manual monitoring system that was not scalable. There was no support for crashing, due to the system being very slow.
The client was a California-based publication house that provides the publishers high-level flexibility to publish their journals for their audience.
At AgileSoft, we provided a solution with an architecture having an n-tier system with three different applications to ease communication through the Spring Boot Framework, providing the necessary infrastructure.
The client saves huge hardware costs, and the new technology reduces the overall development time. This results in enhanced productivity and ROI.
Challenges They were Facing!
The client system was designed to integrate easily with lower administrative costs and reduce the time from submission to publication. The existing system was developed using old stacks of technologies that were not scalable. Also, the system required regular human interventions in manually monitoring the system for breakdown. The whole production infrastructure required a large number of dedicated servers (Solaris) and Databases(Sybase). The technology used for the development of workflow was outdated, and there was no more support for those technologies.
What We Deliver!
With the client we decided to architect an n-tier system with three application layers that communicate through the Spring Boot Framework, providing the necessary infrastructure. Using MySQL database to ultimately store the data.
- The first layer is the Front End Layer made up of three web applications, developed using Java™ technologies. There is an Administration Tool, which is independent of the other two applications. These applications use the Inversion of Control (IoC) offered by the Spring Framework to access the Business API. The Spring Framework is a complete lightweight container, providing centralized, automated configuration and wiring of your application objects. The container is non-invasive and capable of assembling a complex system from a set of loosely-coupled components (POJOs) consistently and transparently. The container brings agility and leverage and improves application test ability and scalability by allowing software components to be first developed and tested in isolation, then scaled up for deployment in any environment.
- The second layer is the Business API, in charge of: processing the system’s logic: accessing the data, processing it, and passing it to the applications.
- The third layer is the Domain Model, responsible for handling the data, and representing the data in an object-oriented form. Underlying the layers of the supporting infrastructure are the databases in MySQL technology.
- With the new architecture, huge savings on hardware cost
- Migration to newer technology reduces the overall development time
- Licensing fees for Solaris and Sybase cut down to zero
- With cache, the overall user experience improved, and web site became responsive
- Build the mobile app with new REST APIs